Hello everyone. Hope all of you are doing very well out there.
Today I am providing my product review for the DVD of Applying the FMS Model by Gray Cook. Nikki and I were fortunate to experience this workshop first hand at the Chicago Perform Better Summit last summer (2011) as we both were given the honor of providing FMS screens for Brett and Gray during the workshop.
Applying the FMS Model is a great DVD for any individual wanting to learn more about applications of how to use the FMS model in their profession. The DVD provides the actual workshop itself with its presentation slides and demonstrations of the FMS screen itself as well as analysis of the screen results.
Gray includes vital information on:
- Understanding what the FMS scores mean for the particular individual
- Individuals activities/sports/work
- Limitations/Injury History
- How to remove negatives
- Applying proper correctives
- Programming for that particular individual (provides great examples: weightlifter, runner, kettlebell enthusiast, older individual +50, younger individual -25, and an ex-athlete)
This is some pretty fantastic stuff as this type of material has not yet been covered in any other DVD or Workbook. This is one of the main reasons why Gray and Brett decided to do the workshop in the first place, to provide a demonstration to interested people and to provide both FMS Certified and Non-FMS Certified individuals an understanding of application.
Here is a breakdown on what you receive:
4-disc DVD set—nearly 4 hours, plus bonus material
Filmed live at a Perform Better Summit Workshop
Standard Operating Procedures
Stabilization and Repatterning
Our Movement History
Functional Movement Screen Review
Scoring the Screens
Filters and Key Points
Programming the Results
Screen Results Analysis
Order of Screen Priority
Hip Hinge and Deadlift Strategies
Movement Motor Learning
Extra corrective strategies footage
Full lecture in MP3 audio format for listening in your car or on your portable device
A 61-page typeset transcript of the lecture
Movement Principles excerpt from the Movement book
FMS scoring criteria and verbal instructions
Presentation slides PDF
Video clips from Gray’s Powerpoint presentation
Self-limiting activities chart
On Target Publications did a fantastic job with this DVD. It includes everything. The PDF of the presentation slides, charts, scoring criteria and verbal instructions for the FMS, as well as a full MP3 of the lecture so you can listen off of your ipod or even in the car. LOVE THAT!
In the workshop Gray does a fantastic job of explaining the finer points of why it is important to have a movement screen for any active individual. These points can be used by the FMS professional towards convincing the importance of using the FMS in many different domains (Examples: sports teams, gyms, bootcamps, risk management for different active careers and etc.)
This DVD and workbook can be used in so many different ways:
- Provide the Certified FMS Professional a valuable resource tool to enhance their current practice
- Provide professionals who are interested in getting FMS certified a taste of everything the FMS entails
- Provides all professionals a tool to present to their superiors, co-workers, and/or potential clients (examples: head coaches, athletic directors, strength coaches, athletic trainers, wellness coordinators, corporate wellness committees and etc.) which gives a vivid explanation of the whole FMS process and its applications and benefits. Use this in your arsenal when you are trying to establish its importance within your setting. How nice is it to ask someone to watch this video when they are interested in learning more about the FMS and its benefits?
For more information and to see more of the sample videos click HERE.